Saturday, February 8, 2020

Wiring the New Pokereno Logic Board

Since I was going with a no-solder design. I started with a piece of plywood and about $250 of parts and accessories. The primary components are:
  1. One (1) Arduino Mega $20 
  2. One (1) Electronics-Salon Screw Terminal Block Breakout Module $30, 
  3. Five (5) Alzard 24V to 5V 8 Channel Optocoupler Isolation Boards, $75 ($15 ea)
  4. One (1) 8 Channel 12V 5V Relay Board Module $12
  5. One (1) 12V to 5V DC converter. $10
  6. Two (2) Corsham 22/44 Pin Extenders (one cut down to 12 pins with a Dremel). $50 ($25 ea.)
  7. 22AWG Solid Core wire in 10 colors. $35.
In a perfect world, I would have had 50 wire colors I even considered re-using the old harness but decided it would be better to use solid core wire that would allow me to easily use Dupont pins to connect to the Corsham Pin Extenders and the Relay board. Everything else is connected to screw blocks (no soldering).
The 36 card leads were pinned with 3 ea. 6 pin Dupont connectors and run to 36 of the 14V leads on the Alzards. (I had to stack them 3 high and 2 high to fit in the Pokereno cabinet.) The 5V output from the Alzards were connected to pin_53 throught pin_14 (INPUT) on the Arduino.

I skipped pin_18 through pin_21 because they are used as interrupts on the Mega. (I wasn't sure if I would need interrupts for the coin-drop detection, more about that in the programming post.)

From the lower connector the pins were connected as follows:
  1. Token-In - to Alzard 14v to Ardiuno pin_5 (INPUT)
  2. Ball Release  - to Relay_2 to Ardiuno pin_11 (OUTPUT)
  3. Dime-In  - to Alzard 14v to Ardiuno pin_6 (INPUT)
  4. Lamp Coin-In - to Relay_1 to Ardiuno pin_12 (OUTPUT)
  5. Bell - To Relay_3 to Ardiuno pin_10 (OUTPUT)
  6. Tickets  Disp - to Relay_4 to Ardiuno pin_9 (OUTPUT)
  7. Lamp Winner - to Relay_5 to Ardiuno pin_8 (OUTPUT)
  8. Lamp Game Over - to Relay_6 to Ardiuno pin_A13 (OUTPUT)
  9. skipped
  10. 14V+ - to 8 screw junction block
  11. Ground - to 4 screw junction block
The Arduino pins were selected based on their contiguous locations on the Electronics-Salon Screw Terminal. I skipped pin_13 because it "flutters" during the Arduino boot sequence.

The Arduino no-solder replacement for the Pokereno logic board. 10 lbs of Electronics in a 5 lb sack. This design is neither practical or cheap, but it is a DIY project.
The left column shows the Arduino Pins connected on the Optocoupler and the Relay.  

Next up was programming the Arduino (writing a sketch) to play Pokereno!

2 comments:

  1. I just recently purchased a twin version of this and will be repeating exactly what you did thank you for.doing all of the legwork for me it is truly appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I "hotrodded" my setup and added logic to the Arduino to drive a little sound board and speaker. My Pokereno game now has sound effects when you drop a coin (cha-ching), a ball drops (ding) and when you loose a hand (wha-whaaa). I set it up ring the original Bell the same number of times as the tickets that are dispensed. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete